Bazar are delighted to announce our partnership with Surfers Against Sewage. Learn more about this partnership throughout this article.
Who are Surfers Against Sewage?
Surfers Against Sewage are a registered Charity based in St Agnes, Cornwall, UK. Established in 1990, Surfers Against Sewage celebrated their 30th anniversary in 2020.
Taken from their Mission & Values page:
“Surfers Against Sewage is a national marine conservation and campaigning charity that inspires, unites and empowers communities to take action to protect oceans, beaches, waves and wildlife.”
Surfers Against Sewage works in the UK and consists of 20 staff and 215 regional volunteer representatives. In 2019 the charity was involved in more than 1,500 beach clean-up exercises throughout the UK.
Initially, back in 1990, the charity focused on improving water quality and providing safer seas for the Surfers Community and beach users. Time has moved on and the UK now enjoys some of the cleanest beaches in Europe. Although water quality and safer seas are still vital and important targets, the scourge of plastic has emerged as the “new sewage” and plastic reduction and eradication is now the highest priority.
What does the Surfers Against Sewage partnership involve?
Bazar – The Ethical Marketplace App pledges to donate 1% of our sales commission revenue to our environmental programmes, which help bees, trees, and seas. Bazar is delighted to partner with Surfers Against Sewage as our “seas” partner. This follows previous announcements of One Tree Planted (Trees Partner) and Bees Abroad (Bees Partner).
Why did Bazar choose this partnership?
We are delighted to have partnered with Surfers Against Sewage who comfortably fit with the ethical standards of our website and our community members. Benefits arising from the work of Surfers Against Sewage are largely why we selected this charity; these benefits are summarised below:
- Education – the education of thousands of young people across the UK through school seminars and also through online resources
- Environmental cleaning – “hands-on” cleaning of beaches and marine environments of plastic and other types of pollutant wastes
- Plastic-free communities – providing support to 600+ UK towns and cities in various stages of their journeys to become Plastic Free Communities
- Reform – the charity acts as a pressure group on the UK government and industry:
- Promoting the outlawing of non-recyclable plastics and
- Industry accepting its responsibility for its plastic waste
- Research and evidencing – completion of research and evidence (sometimes in collaboration with other organisations), which leads to economic, health and scientific evidence which supports calls for safer and cleaner marine environments
How Can I Learn more about Surfers Against Sewage?
To learn more about their work, we recommending initially visiting their website – simply click https://www.sas.org.uk/ to visit. Additional information about Surfers Against Sewage can also be found via Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Donations are always appreciated and can be made by clicking this link – https://www.sas.org.uk/donate/.
The Our Work page is especially informative and will give readers an insight into the pioneering work of Surfers Against Sewage.
Blue Marine Foundation Support
A related organisation we support are Ocean Conservation charity the Blue Marine Foundation. Bazar are BLUE members of the Blue Marine Foundation. Learn more about our support for the foundation by clicking this link.
If you would like to contact Bazar to discuss the exciting new partnership with Surfers Against Sewage or for anything else, then contact us via any of the methods below:
- Contact Us page – https://www.bazarapp.co.uk/contact-us
- Telephone number – 020 8337 2175
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Image Credits: All images are courtesy of Surfers Against Sewage.